Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Talking to Myself *to be assessed*

Grade four Lesley: I am so mad!

Present Lesley: What could be so intense that you could be so mad?

Grade four Lesley: Well, there are these shoes that I really want, and everyone else has them but I don’t think mom is going to buy them for me.

Present Lesley: Is that really something to get so mad about?

Grade four Lesley: Yes! All the other girls have these shoes and I feel so out of place by not having them.

Present Lesley: Well, what makes them so different?

Grade four Lesley: They are so cool! They come with Chiclets or Smarties!

Present Lesley: Couldn’t you just go to the store and buy Chiclets or Smarties if you wanted them?

Grade four Lesley: I guess I could, but this way I get a pair of shoes too.

Present Lesley: So what do these wonderful shoes look like?

Grade four Lesley: They’re black with a little tiny heel and a pointy toe, they’re wicked!

Present Lesley: Would you even wear something like that?

Grade four Lesley: I’d wear them all the time if I had them.

Present Lesley: Well, just a warning, they don’t stay in style for very long so I wouldn’t get too excited about them.

Grade four Lesley: Yes they will! Everyone has them so they’ll be in style for a long time. And I just got these red jeans with zippers at the bottom that they’ll look good with.

Present Lesley: Yeah, your jeans will be out of style soon enough too.

Grade four Lesley: No they won’t, they’re just jeans.

Present Lesley: Believe me, you’re getting mad for nothing, stick with your deck shoes and be happy with that.

Grade four Lesley: No way, I won’t be happy until I get those shoes. And I won’t come out of my room until I get them either.

Present Lesley: Knowing mom, you’ll be in your room for am awful long time then.

Grade four Lesley: I don’t care how long I have to wait, I want those shoes.

Grade five Lesley: I hear you, I better get the shoes I want too.

Present Lesley: You want shoes too?

Grade five Lesley: Yeah, and not the kind from Kmart either, I want a pair from a real store.

Present Lesley: But you’ll grow out of them and you know mom won’t spend much money on a pair of shoes with you growing so quick.

Grade five Lesley: Yes she will, I’ll tell her I want them really bad.

Present Lesley: What are these shoes that you want so badly?

Grade five Lesley: I really, really want a pair of white high top sneakers.

Present Lesley: Okay, you have got to be kidding.

Grade five Lesley: Why would I be kidding?

Present Lesley: Do you know how hideous those things will look on your feet?

Grade five Lesley: They won’t look hideous, thank you very much. They’ll look really cool, and I think the guys will think they’re awesome.

Present Lesley: Believe me, they won’t think they’re awesome.

Grade five Lesley: They will, you’re just too old to know what’s cool.

Present Lesley: I’m only 27, that’s not old.

Grade five Lesley: Yes it is! That’s really old. Not mom old, but still too old to know what someone my age would wear.

Present Lesley: So you think that having these high top sneakers will change your life?

Grade five Lesley: Well no, but I really want them cause all the guys are wearing them.

Present Lesley: And that’s a good reason to get them?

Grade five Lesley: Well, I want them cause they look comfortable too. I’ll help mom pay for them. I’ll put some money towards them.

Present Lesley: You’ll say that but never give her any money. Besides, it’s her money to begin with.

Grade five Lesley: I do chores to earn it!

Present Lesley: Who are you trying to fool? I know better than anyone that you don’t do enough chores to earn money.

Grade five Lesley: I keep my room clean. I’d still help pay for them.

Grade six Lesley: I’m getting older now and I need a good pair of sneakers so I’ll have to help mom pay for the ones I want. They need to come from the mall cause I’m playing sports more now.

Present Lesley: Playing soccer for a few months at school doesn’t justify getting expensive shoes, and you know mom won’t shop in the mall.

Grade six Lesley: Well you can’t get LA Gears anywhere else but the mall. She has to go there to get them.

Present Lesley: What makes them so great and expensive?

Grade six Lesley: They’re good sneakers.

Present Lesley: There has to be some other reason why you want them this bad.

Grade six Lesley: Well, they have these cool twirls of material on the sides, it looks so cool.

Present Lesley: Will you get sick of them, like you get sick of everything else you buy?

Grade six Lesley: No, cause these are good sneakers and I’ll need good ones for junior high next year. I won’t even ask for new sneakers when I start grade seven.

Present Lesley: Well isn’t that nice of you.

Grade six Lesley: It is actually, so be quiet.

Present Lesley: Just remember this when September rolls around and you start asking mom for school supplies and new clothes.

Grade six Lesley: I will, I swear I won’t ask for new sneakers then cause LA Gear’s are really good and will last.

Present Lesley: You’ll probably grow out of them before the next school year starts.

Grade six Lesley: No, I won’t cause I think I stopped growing. Wait, mom is here with Nan. I wonder what she wants?

Present Lesley: That is weird, she never usually came to school during the day.

Grade six Lesley: You’re not going to believe this! Mom just showed up for me to try on a pair of LA Gear sneakers! And they totally fit so she’s going to keep them!

Present Lesley: What? You actually got them? That’s a rare moment for mom.

Grade six Lesley: I can’t believe it, I’m so excited! I’ll love these sneakers forever!

Present Lesley: Just like you said you would love the New Kids on the Block forever too right?

Grade six Lesley: Yeah, I will. I’ll be a fan of the New Kids and my LA Gear’s forever.

No comments: